What are hormonal contraceptives?
A kind of contraception that makes use of hormones to forestall being pregnant and assist handle durations and sure medical situations
Protected for most girls
99% efficient at stopping being pregnant
Contraception is for extra than simply for stopping being pregnant
Many ladies use hormonal contraception to handle well being points , not simply to forestall being pregnant:
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Ovarian cysts
- Excessive interval ache
What varieties of hormonal contraceptives are there?
- The capsule, a type of contraception you’re taking by mouth
- Progestin injection, a shot as soon as each 12 weeks
- Progestin implantable rod, inserted below the pores and skin, can stay for as much as 3 years
- Estrogen and progestin pores and skin patches, utilized weekly for 3 weeks, adopted by per week off
- Estrogen and progestin vaginal ring, used for 3 weeks, adopted by per week off
- Intrauterine machine (IUD) with progestin, inserted into the uterus the place it may well keep for as much as 5 years
How must you take oral contraceptives?
Day by day for 3 weeks, with per week off. Some girls can take the capsule with no break, if authorized by their healthcare supplier.
Take your capsule on the similar time every single day as a result of they’ve a brief half-life!
Half-life = how lengthy a drug stays in your physique
What in case you’re late taking your capsule?
In the event you’re 3 hours or later taking mixture capsules (estrogen and progestin), it’s best to use a back-up methodology till your subsequent interval.
In the event you’re 3 hours or later taking progestin-only capsules (mini capsule) , you want back-up for at the least 2 days.
Know while you’ll have your interval or skip it!
Hormone capsules and vaginal rings might help regulate your interval so it’s not a shock each month. They usually could make the bleeding much less extreme.
Hormonal IUDs and implants can cease durations altogether for some girls, and make them lighter for others.
Planning a giant getaway? You possibly can delay your interval.
In case your interval is scheduled to begin while you get there, converse along with your physician about your contraceptive schedule and delaying your interval.
Breakthrough bleeding or recognizing can occur with hormonal contraceptives. It’s most typical with low-dose capsules and the implant. Stopping your interval will increase breakthrough bleeding threat.
Bleeding with hormonal IUDs often improves after the primary few months.
Keep in mind
Hormonal contraceptives don’t shield you from sexually transmitted infections, like syphilis, HIV and chlamydia.
This useful resource was created with help from Alora.